1. Ability to identify proper safety equipment required for sailing.
3. Knowledge and ability to read a maritime chart.
4. Knowledge of wind direction, currents, and tides.
5. Must demonstrate knowledge of the Rules of the Road. (Including Identifying Commercial Channels and awareness of Commercial Vessels in Charleston Harbor)
6. Properly rig vessel.
7. Identify Safety Position. (Close Reach or Close Hauled Sails luffing)
8. Demonstrate how to get in and out of Irons.
9. Identify points of sail with proper sail trim.
10. Demonstrate tacking and controlled gybing of a sailing vessel.
11. Demonstrate Man Over Board recovery.
12. Reefing and de-powering under sail.
1. Must demonstrate Skipper II abilities singled handily
2. Demonstrate ability to rig spinnaker and perform all crew positions while flying the spinnaker.
420’s, FJ’s and Lasers
1. Demonstrate ability to rig vessel unassisted.
2. Demonstrate Skipper II abilities.
3. Demonstrate Capsize recovery.
4. Must demonstrate ability to leave and return to the docks under sail.